Thursday, August 27, 2009

Faith X Deeds


Hi everyone! I gotta confess that what I'm about to share with you guys is something that is somewhat polemic and in fact I can't quite answer this question myself:
Is your faith valid if you don't do any deeds for the kingdom of God?
As we read Romans 10:9 , it is clear to us that " if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved".

But somewhere along my meditations and reading of the bible I also read this verse found in James 2:16-19 "
If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. "
And then it the last verse it says ,
"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead."

I gotta say that this really placed a lot of questions in my heart as to what "having faith" really means!
So, I'll probably place more questions than comments on this specific post.
You see, nowadays people are going to "church" for all sorts of reasons , except for the right one. As we read back in Acts we start realizing that the "church" we are used to experience today is totally different from that of Acts 4:32-35. People believe in Jesus not for Who is but What He can offer to them and definetely the last word people want to hear is "sacrifice" and " Serve".
I mean, I'm not putting into doubt here the grace and the love of Christ , because once you confess that He is saviour and Lord of your life, our lives are changed. However, what James is literary saying is: " Your words help you, your actions help people".
In my mind, authentic faith comes by actions and if we are not willing to serve and reach out/ serve other people , I really don't think we much faith at all. Because we won't be able to be so close to this Wonderful,graceful, loving God and still not have an urge in our hearts to serve and love others. It may seem a little radical, but I'm guessing here that if you are not able to serve and to help others in need , than your "faith" is a corpse. It's dead , it's useless. What James is telling us is, you are not a Christian by the things you say but by the things you do! We have to stop bragging about how awesome we are at playing an instrument at church, or how well we can memorize bible verses or how many bumper stickers we have in your car with little fishes , brag about how much we believe in Jesus , when even demons believe(but that doesn't mean they are saved) and in the end your actions are meaningless, you don't have any God-like actions. You see, I'm not really sure how God will judge people once we awake from this world, I don't know what standards He will use to judge us, but if you wanna take the risk of sitting at church and "appearantly" be a christian and just because you made a confession once in your life that Jesus can save , go right ahead! I rather go along with this song from Cating Crowns and not take this risk!

No comments:

Post a Comment